Heads Up! VSA Manager 5.1.x – Install Error 2896: Executing action failed
I was asked recently to provide some assistance with a VSA installation problem. The issue which this person experienced is described in the release notes for VSA 5.1.1 .
VSA 5.1.1 installation fails with the Error 2896: Executing action failed message
This problem might occur when the location of the temp drive is set to a drive other than C:, where VSA Manager is to be installed.
Workaround: Make sure that the user and system TEMP and TMP variables point to a specified location on the C: drive.
However this workaround did not work for him and it led to finding another possible cause for this error. If you have your vCenter server installed on a drive other than the C: drive, you may also encounter this installation problem when trying to deploy the VSA Manager. In this case, to resolve this issue, you will need to do the following:
- Run the vSphere Storage Appliance (VSA) Manager installer. The installer extracts and copies the files.
- When the extraction completes, the Next button is enabled. Do not click Next at this stage.
- Navigate to %TEMP%/sva/VSAManager/installTool, and open the runtool.bat file using a text editor.
- In the ninth line of code, add /d before %BUILDDIR%. For example, change: cd %BUILDDIR% to: cd /d %BUILDDIR%
- Save and close the runtool.bat file.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
This will allow the installation to proceed successfully. I’ll ask to get a KB updated with this information.
Get notification of these blogs postings and more VMware Storage information by following me on Twitter: @CormacJHogan
6 Replies to “Heads Up! VSA Manager 5.1.x – Install Error 2896: Executing action failed”
Thank you for this! You definitely saved me some troubleshooting time! Even with “5.1,” VSA, very much, still feels like a 1.0 product!
Thanking you so much!
Great work. This fixed the installation for me.
Glad to hear it – I think this is a KB article now too.
Thank you sir, you saved my day 😀
Obrigado meu amigo!!!
Comments are closed.