I was asked recently to provide some assistance with a VSA installation problem. The issue which this person experienced is described in the release notes for VSA 5.1.1 .
VSA 5.1.1 installation fails with the Error 2896: Executing action failed message
This problem might occur when the location of the temp drive is set to a drive other than C:, where VSA Manager is to be installed.
Workaround: Make sure that the user and system TEMP and TMP variables point to a specified location on the C: drive.
However this workaround did not work for him and it led to finding another possible cause for this error. If you have your vCenter server installed on a drive other than the C: drive, you may also encounter this installation problem when trying to deploy the VSA Manager. In this case, to resolve this issue, you will need to do the following:
- Run the vSphere Storage Appliance (VSA) Manager installer. The installer extracts and copies the files.
- When the extraction completes, the Next button is enabled. Do not click Next at this stage.
- Navigate to %TEMP%/sva/VSAManager/installTool, and open the runtool.bat file using a text editor.
- In the ninth line of code, add /d before %BUILDDIR%. For example, change: cd %BUILDDIR% to: cd /d %BUILDDIR%
- Save and close the runtool.bat file.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
This will allow the installation to proceed successfully. I’ll ask to get a KB updated with this information.
Get notification of these blogs postings and more VMware Storage information by following me on Twitter: @VMwareStorage